Australian Real Estate Investment Trusts
Don't envy my great retirement -- Join the fun!
Click to discover my secret to ever-growing income from investments for life -- whether the stock market goes up or down
The government of Australia began allowing real estate investment trusts in that country in 1971. The first one listed on the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX) was Property Trust (LPT).
Up until March 2008, publicly listed REITs in Australia were known as Listed Property Trusts (LPTs). This terminology distinguished them from privately held REITs, known as Unlisted Property Trusts.
Real Estate Investment Trusts are Big in Australia
In that month, they were retermed Australian Real Estate Investment Trusts (A-REITs). There're now more than 70 A-REITs listed on the exchange, making Australia the country with the second largest number of REITs, behind the United States but ahead of Canada. They account for fully 12% of the world's listed real estate.
A-REITs can also be listed on The Bendigo Stock Exchange, the Newcastle Stock Exchange, and the Australia Pacific Exchange.
Australian REITs are allowed to hold property in or outside of Australia. The most popular countries for them, outside Australia itself, are the United States, New Zealand and The United Kingdom.
They are measured by what is term their Net Tangible Assets (NTA), which is the balance sheet total of their properties.
Most A-REITs contract management duties to outside third parties.
A-REITs can choose to adopt one of two structures. Stand-alone trusts provide investors pure exposure to the underlying real estate portfolio. Stapled securities provide investors exposure to a funds management and/or property development company besides the a real estate portfolio.
There're Five Basic Kinds of Australian REITs:
Hotel / Leisure
Diversified - investment in a mixture of Industrial, Office, Hotel and Retail
An Australia REIT is Shortened to A-REIT or AREIT
- What is a Responsible Entity -- a unique Australian legal concept
- What is a stapled A-REIT -- one way some A-REITs are legally organized
- Ardent Leisure Group -- leisure A-REIT
- Abacus Property Group -- acquires and manages real estate properties
- Agricultural Land Trust -- farmland in Australia
- Astro Japan Property -- commercial properties in Japan
- ALE Property Group -- landlord for Australian pubs
- APN European Retail -- commercial properties in Australia and Europe
- Aspen Group -- diversified stapled A-REIT with commercial properties
- Australand Group -- land development
- Australian Education Trust -- a daycare centers in Australia
- Babcock & Brown Residential Land Partners -- land development projects
- Becton Property Group -- property development and funds management
- Bunnings Warehouse -- popular warehouse type store in Australia
- Carindale Property -- Carindale Westfield shopping center
- Centro Properties Group -- shopping centers in Australia, New Zealand and the United States
- CFS Retail Property Trust -- regional and subregional shopping malls in Australia
- Challenger Diversified Property -- diversified retail properties
- Challenger Kenedix Japan Trust -- retail real estate in Japan
- Challenger Wine Trust -- Australian vineyards A-REIT
- Charter Hall Group -- commercial real estate properties and funds
- Cheviot Kirribilly Vineyard property Group -- Australian vineyards
- Cromwell Corporation Limited -- diversified A-REIT with funds management
- Commonwealth Property -- office buildings in Australia
- Coonawarra Australia -- Australian vineyard
- Compass Hotel Group -- hotels and taverns
- DEXUS Property Group -- large owner of commercial properties worldwide
- Galileo Japan Trust -- Tokyo area office buildings
- GEO Property Group Limited -- residential property development
- Goodman Group -- worldwide business and industrial properties
- GPT Group -- large diversified A-REIT
- Growthpoint Properties Australia -- commercial properties in Australia
- Hedley Leisure and Gaming Property Fund -- freehold pub market
- ING Real Estate Entertainment Fund -- entertainment and leisure A-REIT
- ING Real Estate Healthcare Fund -- healthcare sector properties
- ING Industrial Fund -- over 500 business parks and industrial properties
- ING Office Fund -- office buildings worldwide
- ING Real Estate Community Living -- housing for students and senior citizens
- Living and Lesiure Australia Group -- skiing resorts and other leisure properties
- MacarthurCook Property Securities Fund -- diversified commercial properties in Australia
- MacarthurCook Industrial Property Fund -- Australian industries properties
- Macquarie Countrywide -- supermarket anchored shopping centers
- Macquarie DDR -- shopping centers in the United States
- Macquarie Office Trust -- high grade office buildings
- Mariner American Property Income Trust -- owns commercial real estate in the United States
- Mirvac Group -- diversified commercial properties
- Mirvac Industrial Trust -- greater Chicago area industrial properties
- Mirvac Real Estate Investment Trust -- diversified properties including Travelodges
- Multiplex Acumen Prime Property Fund -- Sydney and Melbourne offices
- Multiplex Acumen Property Fund -- invests in unlisted property funds
- Prime Retirement and Aged Care Property Trust -- retirement villages and nursing homes in Australia
- Rabinov Property Trust -- named after Ezriel Rabinowicz
- RNY Property Trust -- New York City office buildings
- Rubicon America Trust -- diversified commercial real estate properties across the United States
- Rubicon Europe Trust Group -- diversified commercial properties in Germany, Belgium and The Netherlands
- Rubicon Japan Trust -- owns properties in Japan
- Stockland -- in top 50 of ASX stocks
- Thakral Holdings Group -- commercial and hotel properties
- Timbercorp Primary Infrastructure -- agribusiness infrastructure
- Tishman Speyer Office Fund -- office buildings in major US markets
- Trafalgar Corporate -- diversified, stapled real estate properties
- Trinity Limited -- commercial properties and funds management
- Valad Property Group -- commercial properties in Australia, New Zealand and United States
- Westfield Group -- major worldwide shopping centers company
- Westpac Office Trust -- offices in Australia and New Zealand
- Westfield Retail -- shopping centers in Australia
A-REITs are big in Australia, and there are many of them to satisfy REIT income investors around the world.
Now download The Death of Capital Gains Investing, your first step toward experiencing for yourself the joy of securing your retirement through income investing!
It's easy. Just enter your first name and email address into the form below.
(NOTE: After you click the button, you'll be taken to a thank you page with the link to download your free report.)
Copyright 2007-2017 by Gold Egg Investing LLC. All rights reserved.